Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ijkalaka - Ijkalaka - Oglala...

When I was a little girl, my parents would bring home those Barnum's Animal cookies in the box with a string. My brother and I would hold on to the boxes and make a little circus train with them, tying the strings together and dragging them through the yard, garage, and everywhere else we could.

I vividly remember a day when I was by myself for some reason (perhaps my brother was taking a nap or maybe we got in a fight and I didn't want him around), toting along my little Barnum's circus cars and singing tunelessly "Ijkalaka, Ijkalaka, La-la-la...Ijkalaka, Ijkalaka, La-la-la" (of course pronouncing Ijkalaka, "eek-a-like-a"). My mom came outside and asked me where I'd heard that before, to which I honestly replied "I made it up". I was then informed that my great great great grandmother's name was Ijkalaka (as I was pronouncing it) and she was part of the Oglala Sioux tribe.

Looking back, I'm pretty sure I knew nothing of Ijkalaka Russell at that point or who she was to me until my mother filled me in. I think this might be one of the first examples of which has brought me to believe that spirits can and do communicate with us. And as children, we still listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be skrred! I love comments!